Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I kindly remember putting the finishing touches on my masterpieces, Father's Day cards. I loved crafts at school and at home. It transcending today, I own a glue gun! The thoughts and love I put into the cards were in the mere hope to get a "I love it, my dearest daughter with a big hug". The momentum built up in my mind for that moment when I gently handed over my dad his Father's Day card, present or both. I was lucky if he read it. not because he didn't love me but I was in line with many other siblings each wanting pretty much the same thing. I truly believe my dad looked at his children and often wondered where did they all come from aaaggghhhhh and it overwhelmed him. So there on a late Sunday afternoon, he sat in his chair like Santa in reverse as his children bestowed their gifts onto him. He was a man of few words, he would wring his hands together, chuckle and let his children fuss over him. That he loved. He was impatient, always looking for the easiest way to accomplish something which turned out to be cockamamie and seldom fruitful, his vocabulary consisted of every curse word known to man, he loved pickup trucks and dogs, he was a pack rat, he became a full time Dad when my Mom died and most of his children were grown, he made his way to the hospital for birth of both my boys, he was blunt as he was coy, he was loud as a lion as he was quiet as a mouse. He was smart, intuitive, a businessman, a towering man in stature who never let on how much he really knew. He was a good listener and the best possible father he could be. His approaches at times were silly but heartfelt. To avoid hurting his children's feeling rarely referred to his companion by name only by "Whactha ma call it". He was more of a Dad then I could have ever expected. He was my father who is here in spirit this year and who I cherish this year as I did last. I love my Dad and I miss him. Happy Father's Day Daddy.

No comments: