Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father’s Day


The best memory of my dad was his love of the outdoors and how during the summer up at the cottage, we went fishing. Not just to any fishing spot, my dad had the secret spots that were to net us foot long Brook Trout. We would comb through the thick northern Canadian brush and make our way down an enormous cliff to stand in a small opening to the brook below. 


Once, Cece, my younger sister tagged along at my insistence and as we wiggled our way through the brush my dad right behind us. Suddenly, he slipped on a moss covered rock and flew past us on his descent landing on his secret spot. He said every cuss word in the cuss word dictionary as he managed to stand up. My sister and I hid our giggles as best we could. I don't even remember if we caught anything that day because it was an occasion we got to spend time alone with him, something seldom garnered at home in a family of nine children.

My dad was the great outdoorsman. He loved to fish and hunt all year round. Each year he would get tons of gifts related to fishing and hunting. Camouflage shirts, hats, jackets, socks, fishing gear. One year someone gave him the dancing wall mounted fish from an info-commercial. He was a man's man rarely showing emotion and not one to hug. He showed his love in other ways. Like when I had my first child, he showed up at the hospital on Christmas day to welcome a new grandchild but found me still in labour. My dad couldn't whisper, he couldn't speak low, his whisper was somebody else's regular tone. He cornered my older sister and stated "how long is she going to take?" This from a father of nine! I laughed and my husband just looked at me, not venturing to comment.

Just when I underestimated how much my dad cared, he surprised me. After I had my second child he showed up at my house with presents in tow to greet his newest grandson, who I named after him. I loved my dad so much and miss him on Father's day.  I can hold in my heart that I was blessed to have him in my life so long. Cheers to you, Dad.

No comments: