Friday, October 21, 2011

Parent Week From The Dead

This is a week of my parents, both deceased yet still live in the minds of many. It began early in the week, when my son and I went to my friend Wilma's shop for some beads. She was stationed in the back of her store sewing a last minute order. Her shop is eclectic as best: an internet cafe, DVD rental outfit, seamstress service and custom sewing shop and now has a full line of beads. She has an area set for people who just come to visit and offers up an array of coffee for patrons. Eclectic is the only word that describes her shop. As we browsed, Wilma brought up how she missed my mother and that she was often in her thoughts.

Today, as a meeting came to an end, Ken, a friend of my mom's from way back mentioned how much he missed her. He shook his head in a bowed position leaving just enough so I could see his eyes filled with regret. The gesture is quite familiar when people discuss her. He said life would have been so different if she were still here with us, one event in particular her mere presence would have altered the course for years to come.

Then the other day, I received Facebook message from a distant relative and glad she was to see my dad, albeit on the social network. I could just see the look on my dad's face as I tried to explain Facebook and the internet. My dad was a steak and potatoes kinda guy who hunted and fished, so not into social networking. What a comfort to hear about my dad too!

Memories......

No comments: