Friday, October 21, 2011

Listen To Your Gut

The other day Oprah asked "What do you know better today than you did a year ago?" I can hear all the men reading this grumble, that's okay, it's called the Oprah effect. Or for a more twisted slant on that read Dennis Leary's book Why We Suck, he devotes an entire chapter to this. In the meantime, ask yourself what you know better today than from a year ago. Sometimes, we lose sight of how we differ year to year but every now and then a reminder helps us put things into perspective.

One thing I know I know is if you believe things will pass and things do. But when you are in the troughs of difficulty it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. For this I know things will pass, guaranteed. The time in which a yucky situation happens eventually passes what lingers is our relentless ego reminding us of the dilemma. I would make a fortune inventing a gadget reminding the ego to cool it, what a cool app.

Another thing I know better is listening to my gut. A year ago today, work started going downhill, if I trusted my gut and listened I would have applied for a great position posted and knew I would get. I did not heed the message, hence, I lost my job four months later and things got worse before they got better.

So today, I know better to listen to my gut and know life lessons are put in your way so you can learn. And boy did I learn.


 

No comments: