Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good or Great

Today, I wonder what exactly sets me apart from say a great literary writer or a Pulitzer prize author. Honestly, what sets me apart from the greatest writers of all time. I went to college and university. I studied hard, wrote for a the college paper, wrote for a weekly local paper, did some radio reporting, wrote and wrote. So there! My dream in college was to go to New York, become an expert bond trader, wear Calvin Klein 24/7 and have a fabulous life and write.

What happen. I allowed my dreams to slip away. I allowed the drama of my boring life catch up to me. I allowed sadness from my mother's death cloud my judgement. I allowed that same sadness and grief to turn into fear. At first, just little things became fearful. Like I am going to die of cancer too. The fear crept up and slowly took the seat of my dreams. It moved into my life and I became more and more fearful. I let optimism slip and fear slid in so effortlessly.

Today, after what seems like a life time of fear, and vanquishing it to it's rightful place, I now dream of writing, finishing a book. Yes I have fear but it's not engulfing and stifling my thoughts, my life. I am not choking from it anymore. What's separates me from the greats, just a piece of paper with their name on it. Like art, writing is in the mind of the reader. Great.

No comments: